Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Busy Days

Here is an update on what Todd and I have been up to the past few days. We left Edinburgh early yesterday morning and made our way to a town called Hawick in Scotland. This is where some of my family (the Turnbulls) came from, and they recently made a large monument honoring them. It was pretty fun to see, and we found a place called Hizzy's guest house to stay in. The couple that runs it were awesome and so generous! It was definitely the 'Bed & Breakfast experience' you picture when going to a remote European town. The breakfast was delicious, and Todd even tried haggis. I joke with him that he's probably eaten the meat of about 7 animals in the past 24 hours, which is a pretty scary thought. We also ate at at the most adorable cafe I have ever seen in my life, the Damascus Drum. It doubled as a used bookstore, and I ended up buying a copy of essays written by Ralph Waldo Emerson, and published in 1904. We also visited a textile and knitwear factory/museum which was actually very interesting! Although we didn't buy any Scottish wool in the form of scarves, socks, or gloves, I'm glad we were able to learn how they were made at least!

Today we left Hawick and made our way to a tiny one street town called Hett. There are 300 people in the town, and we have been lucky enough to stay with a great couple from home while they are here on an extended vacation. To get here we had to ride a 2 hour bus to Carlisle, catch a train to Newcastle, change trains and head for Durham, and then finally Hett. We ate dinner at the Coach and Horses pub and it was delicious! Dumpling stew, roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, bread, the works. I am so full, but still want some sweets- something I have been putting off until we get to Italy where I can go crazy!

That's what we've been up to as of late, and I'll try to post more pictures as soon as we have a better connection. Until then, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment